This is part of a series of issues towards the commemoration of the Portuguese Republic’s centenary on 5 October 2010. This issue depicts various official flags, namely
- the flag of Portugal, adopted in 1910;
- the Presidential banner (with green background), adopted in 1930;
- the flag of the Parliament (with white background), first used in 2007;
- the flag of the Azores (depicting the goshawk, açor in Portuguese), adopted in 1979;
- the flag of Madeira (with the Cross of the Order of Christ), adopted in 1978.
Further current and historic Portuguese flags can be seen here. The miniature sheet also shows the bust of the Republic, sculpted by Francisco Santos, who had been the first Portuguese football player to play abroad, in Rome’s Lazio team, of which he was captain in 1907. The bust is in the Parliament.
The stamps were designed by João Machado, lithographed by Cartor on enamelled paper sheets of 5×10 stamps with perforation 13, and were issued on 5 October 2007.