Kiosks were originally oriental ornamental garden pavillions, open on one or more sides. Introduced via Turkey into Europe, kiosks became small booths where one can buy newspapers, tobacco, and other small inexpensive items. The first kiosk in Portugal was installed in 1869 in Rossio, the main square in downtown Lisbon. The city’s squares, gardens and avenues had a time about 30 kiosks, but today only a few remain, some of them having been restored.
From left to right, the stamps show the kiosks in Calçada Ribeiro dos Santos, Avenida da Liberdade (near the Tivoli theatre), Avenida 24 de Julho (near the Santos crossing), and Rua da Artilharia 1. Note that the background forms a composite design.
The stamps were designed by Maluda, lithographed by the Mint on enamelled paper sheets of 4×4 se-tenant stamps with perforation 11¾×11½ and a vertical phosphor band, and circulated from 19 March 1985 to 31 December 1992.