Postugal

Portugal on stamps

This is the fourth set of stamps tracing the history of ceramic tiles in Portugal.

The panel on the first stamp was manufactured by Real Fábrica do Rato, in Lisbon, and can be found in a vestry of the former Madre de Deus convent, which now hosts the National Tile Museum. The tile panel on the second stamp is part of the wall decorations of the Alvor-Pombal palace, also in Lisbon, which now hosts the National Museum of Ancient Art.

Portugal adopted the Brazilian fashion of using tiles for decorating the façade of buildings when Brazilian immigrants in Porto started to produce, in the second half of the 19th century, monochromatic high-relief tiles for that purpose, like those on the third stamp. The Art Nouveau pieces on the last stamp were designed by Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro for the decoration of bakeries, and were manufactured by the factory he founded in Caldas da Rainha.

The stamps were designed by the Post Office Philatelic Services, lithographed by the Mint on enamelled paper sheets of 5×10 stamps with a phosphor band and perforation 12×11¾, and issued on 8 March, 18 July, 3 August and 17 October 1984, circulating until 31 August 1989.

Stamp Print run Afinsa Gibbons Michel Scott Yvert
coat of arms 1,000,000 1651 1952 1625 1593 1604
ashlar 1,000,000 1668 1970 1640 1594 1618
pattern 1,000,000 1671 1972 1641 1595 1619
grasshoppers 1,000,000 1678 1976 1644 1596 1622

This post is not tagged.

Leave a Reply





Usage tips

See the sidebar of the home page