Postugal

Portugal on stamps

This is the third set of stamps tracing the history of ceramic tiles in Portugal. The piece on the first stamp is part of a set of six panels existing at the Palace of the Counts of Calheta, which nowadays hosts the Tropical Museum in Lisbon. The third and fourth pieces belong to National Tile Museum, in Lisbon, and were made in the studio of Gabriel del Barco y Minusca. The third piece shows an albarrada, a floral vase flanked by animals. Albarradas were probably inspired by Flemish paintings of flower vases.

The stamps were designed by the Post Office Philatelic Services, and lithographed by the Mint on enamelled paper sheets of 5×10 stamps, with a phosphor band and perforation 12×11¾. The stamps were issued on 16 March, 16 June, 18 October and 23 November 1983, and circulated until 31 August 1989.

Stamp Print run Afinsa Gibbons Michel Scott Yvert
hunt 1,000,000 1607 1914 1592 1563 1571
birds 1,000,000 1619 1926 1603  1564 1582
albarrada 1,000,000 1631 1935 1611 1565 1590
horseman 1,000,000 1638 1941 1614 1566 1593

This post is not tagged.

Leave a Reply





Usage tips

See the sidebar of the home page