Postugal

Portugal on stamps

This is the second set of stamps tracing the history of ceramic tiles in Portugal. The tiles on the first stamp belong to the collection of the National Tile Museum, in Lisbon, which is located in the former Convent of Madre de Deus. The 4×4 tile pattern on the last stamp comes from the cloister of that convent. The quadrilobate pattern can be seen in many churches in Portugal. Dutch-inspired blue and white tiles started to become popular by the end of the 17th century.

The stamps were designed by the Post Office Philatelic Services, and lithographed by the Mint on enamelled paper sheets of 5×10 stamps, with a phosphor band and perforation 12×11¾. The stamps were issued on 24 March, 11 June, 22 September and 15 December 1982, and circulated until 31 August 1989.

Stamp Print run Afinsa Gibbons Michel Scott Yvert
italo-flemish 3,000,000 1562 1871 1557 1528 1536
altar panel 3,000,000 1579 1885 1568 1529 1547
coloured quadrilobate 3,000,000 1587 1893 1576 1530 1554
blue quadrilobate 1,000,000 1597 1902 1582 1531 1561

This post is not tagged.

Leave a Reply





Usage tips

See the sidebar of the home page