The stamp depicts the West façade of the Old Cathedral of Coimbra, which dates back to the foundation of Portugal. Construction started in the first half of the 12th century, after Afonso Henriques became the first king of Portugal and made Coimbra its capital. The building is the only Romanesque cathedral in Portugal to have survived in its original form. In the 18th century a former Jesuit church, near the University, became Coimbra’s new cathedral.
The stamp was designed and engraved at the Institut de gravure et d’impression de papiers-valeurs, in Paris, typographed by the Mint on wove paper sheets of 10×10 stamps with perforation 12×11½, and circulated from 20 November 1935 to 30 September 1945.