Postugal

Portugal on stamps

This issue commemorates the long history of Beja. Probably founded by the Celtics around 400 BC, it became a major Roman settlement, named Pax Julia to celebrate the peace agreement between Julius Caesar and the Lusitanians in 48BC. It was settled by the Visigoths, who called it Paca, and then by the Moors, who gave it its current name. Due to its strategic position, on a hill overlooking the Alentejo plains, it was the object of many battles throughout its history. In the 13th century, King Afonso III started repopulating and rebuilding the city, using the stones from the old Roman road to build the city wall.

The stamps were designed by José de Moura, lithographed by Litografia de Portugal on enamelled paper sheets of 5×10 stamps with perforation 13½, and circulated from 13 November 1974 to 31 December 1983.

Stamp Print run Afinsa Gibbons Michel Scott Yvert
1.50 9,000,000 1230 1549 1260 1232 1240
3.50 1,000,000 1231 1550 1261 1233 1241
7.00 1,000,000 1232 1551 1262 1234 1242

This post is not tagged.

Leave a Reply





Usage tips

See the sidebar of the home page